How can I help my children to avoid sexual abuse?
- Teach your children about the possibility that they may be touched sexually, and how to tell the difference between touching that is affectionate and touching that is sexual.
- If possible, have girls and boys sleep separately, especially after age 10 or 11 years old.
- Make sure your children know who they can talk to if something should happen to them.
- Believe a child who says he or she feels uncomfortable around an adult or older child - no matter who that person is.
- Sometimes sexual abuse of children continues for many years. A girl may be told that she will be harmed or even killed if she tells anyone about it.