How can I prevent my children from fall injuries?
In addition to supervision, some steps to prevent children from serious falls include:
- discourage and prevent children from climbing onto unsafe places
- do not allow children to play on stairs and balconies, and, if they do, watch them closely
- use railings of appropriate width and height with vertical bars on stairs, windows or balconies
- keep the home clean, well lit and free of sharp objects and rough edges
- properly secure babies in high chairs
- do not leave infants unattended on beds, cots, hammocks or in walkers or other baby equipment
- keep furniture such as beds, chairs and cribs away from windows
- do not put toys or other items on high shelves that may attract small children, and fasten heavy furniture such as cabinets or shelves to the wall.