How can I prevent my children from traffic injuries?
Children may be hurt when they are crossing or walking along roads, or if they play near roads. Young children do not think before they run onto the road.
Families need to:
- watch children carefully
- fence the house and close the gate to prevent young children from running onto the road
- teach young children never to cross or walk along a road unless accompanied by an adult or older child
- prevent children from playing near the road
- teach children not to run after balls, moving toys or kites that go on or near the road
- instruct children to walk on the side of the road, facing traffic
- if there is a sidewalk, teach children to use it rather than walk on the road.