How can I select good food?
Sometimes food is bad even before it is cooked or stored. Here are some things to look for when selecting food.
Fresh (raw) foods should be:
- fresh and in season.
- whole - not bruised, damaged, or eaten by insects.
- clean (not dirty).
- fresh smelling (especially fish, shellfish, and meat, which should not have a strong smell).
- tins that look new (no rust, bulges, or dents)
- jars that have clean tops.
- bottles that are not chipped.
- packages that are whole, not torn.