Is an abortion dangerous for me?
A safe abortion is less likely to cause harm than having a baby.
Abortion is very safe when it is done:
- by a trained and experienced health worker.
- with the proper instruments.
- under clean conditions. Anything that goes into the vagina and womb must be sterile (without any germs).
- up to 3 months (12 weeks) after the last monthly bleeding.
- by someone who has not been trained to do it.
- with the wrong instruments or medicines.
- under unclean conditions.
- after 3 months (12 weeks) of pregnancy, unless it is done in a health center or hospital that has special equipment.