What are signs of misuse of alcohol and drugs?
Whatever the reason for starting, alcohol and drugs can easily become misused. A person is misusing drugs or alcohol if she loses control over when she uses alcohol or drugs, over the amount she uses, or over the way she acts when using alcohol or drugs.
Here are some common signs that people are misusing drugs
or alcohol. They:
- feel they need a drink or a drug to get through the day or night. They may use it at unusual times or places, such as in the morning, or when they are alone.
- lie about how much they or others use, or hide it.
- have money problems because of how much they spend on buying drugs or alcohol. Some people commit crimes to get money for drugs or alcohol.
- ruin celebrations because of how much they drink alcohol or use drugs.
- are ashamed of their behavior while using drugs or alcohol.
- are not working as well as before or are not going to work as often because of using alcohol or drugs.
- have problems with violent behavior. A man may become more violent towards his wife, children, or friends.