What should I know about depression (extreme sadness or feeling nothing at all)?
Some people call depression ‘heaviness of heart’ or ‘loss of spirit or soul’.
It is natural for a person to feel depressed when she experiences a loss or death. But she may have a mental health problem if the signs below last for a long time.
- feeling sad most of the time
- difficulty sleeping or sleeping too much
- difficulty thinking clearly
- loss of interest in pleasurable activities, eating, or sex
- physical problems, such as headaches or intestinal problems, that are not caused by illness
- slow speech and movement
- lack of energy for daily activities
- thinking about death or suicide