What types of family planning do exist?
Once you have decided to use family planning, you must choose a method. To make a good decision you must first learn about the different methods, and their advantages and disadvantages.
There are 5 main types of family planning methods:
- Barrier methods, which prevent pregnancy by keeping the sperm from reaching the egg.
- Hormonal methods, which prevent the woman’s ovary from releasing an egg, make it harder for the sperm to reach the egg, and keep the lining of the womb from supporting a pregnancy.
- IUDs, which prevent the man’s sperm from fertilizing the woman’s egg.
- Natural methods, which help a woman know when she is fertile, so that she can avoid having sex at that time.
- Permanent methods. These are operations which make it impossible for a man or a woman to have any children.